Saturday, August 22, 2009

So Many needing prayers!

What Cancer Cannot Do
Cancer is so limited . . .
It cannot cripple Love.
It cannot shatter Hope.
It cannot corrode Faith.
It cannot destroy Peace.
It cannot kill Friendship.
It cannot suppress Memories.
It cannot silence Courage.
It cannot invade the Soul.
It cannot steal eternal Life.
It cannot conquer the Spirit.
Author Unknown

Cancer is a part of our lives. It has struck so many people and so many that I love so much. I still remember my dear grandfather that died when I was in 2ND grade. My Papa was a remarkable wonderful man. Later in in life I was blessed to know my husbands grandfather that also went by the name Papa. He also dies of cancer. My grandmother was always afraid of dying of cancer, but God spared her. She died of old age at 99 years young. She had watched her mother and then her father die in their early 60's of cancer. A priest at that time told her that those that suffer from cancer serve their purgatory here on earth and go right to heaven. As a Catholic she found so much comfort in that thought. I do also. She said that the priest told her that the mental anguish is what united the victim to the cross. As a true Christian I take such joy in knowing that some of my favorite souls are heaven bound.

The reality of cancer to the human is so painful though. We blame everything on causing cancer. One person tells you to eat more dairy and another quotes a different study on how dairy is the cause of all evil. Each side believes themselves to be 100% correct. I am sure that there is some element of truth to be found. I would love to remind others that our life expectancy, even with cancer, if much higher than is was 100 years ago, don't even compare to a thousand years ago. Maybe cancer has always been around but we weren't around long enough for it to develop.

I begin with all that to dive into some serious prayer request. Our dear friend Natalia might be in the middle of a relapse. Her strength is amazing. Remember Natalia is our 16 year old friend from the homeschool world that has been fighting leukemia Since January of this year. Even though she possibly is facing another huge battle this young woman of God has given all of it back to Him. She is open to whatever path He asks of her. This beautiful woman states that she is anxious to learn whatever lessons God needs her to learn.

Another example of His love comes across each time I think of my friend Kelly. She is a fellow homeschooling mom. After fighting breast cancer for two years her husband asked her to leave his house. She struggled with this maybe more than her struggle with cancer. For now she is living in a small apartment homeschooling her two young boys in between her treatments. She joined our Catholic homeschool group not being a woman of faith. She is now a full fledged baptized woman of God. Her faith and trust in Him is a true inspiration to all that know her. She is now having extreme pain in the chest, that is making breathing hard. The crazy thing is that the doctors can't find a tumor. She keeps plugging away. She is making sure to teach her boys every day what it means to be a Christian and to understand that she loves them no matter what.

Then our dear cake fairy lady Linda was shocked to the core when she visited her doctor. She has had severe back pain for a few months. She thought that the medication from that is what lead to her ulcers. As it turns out it is a very advanced case of Pancreatic cancer. She is so thankful that God has given her enough time to let her children know how much she loves them. She is thankful that after surgery for her ulcers she will be able to enjoy the tasty pleasures of food again without needing to worry about addiction or weight gain. She will be treated for comfort not for healing. Her cancer is too advanced.

Linda has a daughter that is Sugar's friend, age 13. She has an intense happy go lucky son that is the love of her life at just 6 years of age. Her husband is crushed and reminding God that Linda has always served Him well. We have been friends with this family for the last seven years. They live in our neighborhood, she volunteers for the Cuda team, they are always running fund raisers for the various parishes that they are in, she bakes my children's birthday cakes, she hosts a killer neighborhood light viewing adventure at Christmas. I have sat and prayed with this woman. We have shared life secrets and deepest fears. She will now come face to face with death. Yet when speaking with her just hours after being told, I was amazed at the joy of life that I saw. I was so inspired by her peace and desire to enjoy her children over the next few months.

While creating caring bridge pages and care calenders for these friends and my mom I must have sent out hundreds of emails. I was also purchasing tickets for Moogie and Bear to visit St. Louis to aid their Mimi. She is having one knee replaced. She lives alone and wants someone with her. My babies have agreed to be there for her. In between all these emails I received an email from my cousin with another request. Similar situation of a young woman with 3 young children.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I cannot even begin to comprehend why we are allowed to suffer. Why are some allowed to suffer in such extreme ways? But I do see you in each of these situations. Remarkable woman of God, trusting in your will, finding your peace and longing for your promise of heaven. Please give me the same hope and joy that I see in these examples. Give each their own miracle. Thank you for allowing me to know them. Thank you for trusting me with the opportunity to unite to you in prayer for these ladies. Please give each one your peace and a knowledge of your love.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.