Saturday, July 23, 2011

Baby gift - home made

One of the coolest things that the Bread of Life home school support group does is to honor every new life with a baby shower. The group hosts two showers a year and everyone is honored. Gifts are given only if you want. We sit and talk about the baby, our other children, our husbands and we pray for each other.   I like to make my gifts  . . . they are easy and fun.
I make religious burp clothes.
  I take cloth diapers and paint and image of Holy Mary on one and a Rosary on another.  My thought is that no matter what baby will spit up and it always seams to be worse at Mass.  Maybe it is because I am more nervous about the baby being quiet in a crowded church.   My nerves probably lead to the baby being a little upset and then burping is the natural response.  Because we are in church we need something appropriate to bur baby with, hence the religious looking burp clothes.  Not to even mention that I pray for the baby while making being creative.  I am always ask, "How did you do that?"  Well this is how . . .




I start with am very worn and used image of Holy Mary.  I go over it again and again with a pencil.
Once the image is dark it is flipped onto a clean , new cloth diaper. 

When you rub the back side of the image some of the pencil colored image rubs off onto the diaper.

The image always looks different at this point.  I usually do about 6 at a time and I am always amazed at how different she looks each time the image is transferred.
It is now time to iron the clothes.  This helps with the painting.

I love this part as Mary's image takes form.  I am always amazed at how different each one looks.  Some Marys are happy and some look serious.  It used to upset me but now I just think it is how each one is to look for who that cloth is going to.





The final product is rolled up and attached to a card.
It is then placed in the gift basket to be used by the new baby.  Congrats to my friends and enjoy making your own version with any image you want.

1 comment:

  1. I loved mine I got while I was pregnant with Jack! I can't tell you how many compliments I got at mass! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.