Monday, February 22, 2010

Beignet Day

Last year J and I waited for an hour and a half for the experience of sitting in Cafe DuMonde. We ordered our beinets and coffee and waited another 30 minutes. Then these beautiful hot donuts showed up with steaming strong coffee. It was great fun and well worth the wait. This year it didn't fit into our schedule. We tried to visit a Cafe DuMonde stand inside the Mall on Mardi Gras before leaving town. Unfortunately the Mall was closed. Something to do with the Holiday that was declared in New Orleans for the celebration of Mardi Gras. So this was last year's shot and being close to those treats just made me crave the yummy beignets. We had told the children that we would try to bring some beignets home for them. That didn't happen either. What could we do?
Every great marketing guru in the world will take any product that has become famous and try to add it into the market. We had tried making these before. They are certainly not as good; but yummy non the less. I woke up early on Saturday morning and mixed the batter. I started the oil and tried my best.
The smell woke up the children. They were eager to help. I admit that we made a huge mess but had a blast.
It did take us a while to learn how thick to press the mix. Too thin and they would not rise, too thick and they wouldn't cook.
To tell the truth I was very glad to have the helpers.
I think we all wanted the job we see Princess doing here. The powdered sugar is the best part.
Then it was hard to not eat them all before we woke the older helpers. Pooker, Goobers, and Bear eventually came to join us.
I know they don't look like the ones at the cafe but it was so worth it. I am very glad that we didn't make it to the official stand this year. We were able to make a mess and laugh as a family instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.