Our co-op program has set this up so that we meet every other Wednesday. The curriculum has 18 weeks in it. We are to spend one week before the co-op meeting working on this week's topics. We then meet and review or enhance with the kids. Then we spend the next week going deeper. Wednesday on the off week we dive into the next topic. We spend time at the library with documentaries or any other way we individually (as a family) choose to approach the topics. Some families use this as their core and other just as an add on and just memorization topics to another program with Wednesday being just a reminder for their memory work.
The program offers:
- Religion - catechism or gospel passage
- Latin - song or prayer used for our Catholic faith
- History - 2 or 3 sentence blub. all history is broken into 4 years worth
- Science - various topics broken to basic memory work
- Math - multiples and basic facts committed to memory
- Timeline - 144 topics/cards (8 each week) in total giving a general understanding of time
- Geography - countries, rivers, capital and other major locations
- Great words I - simple poems for memory or Great Words II - speeches to for memory
- Presentations - the kids practice giving small presentations in front of class
We were prepared and every excited about our first week at co-op. Uniforms were laid out and notes of encouragement from Sugar were put out for our early morning. (We homeschool - we are used to sleeping in.) Waking up early really makes me hate co-op.
I still hate the idea of co-ops but I like seeing my friends, the kids enjoyed seeing their friends.