Monday, October 29, 2007

This is My Body

My dear husband and I had the honor of picking up Pooker and her friends from a concert the other night. It was hard getting up early the next morning for Mass after staying up late driving everyone home. We ended up at the Sunday night Mass. It had been a long weekend and I was tired.

My children had been grabbing at me all day. Cowboy has been nursing quit a bit, Bagel has needed hugs every second, Princess has been sharing story after story while her brother Pickle has been asking question after question. They have all been close physically also. I understand that as volleyball season winded down they just all needed more of mom.

I hate to admit just how selfish I really am. I sat down between Moogie and Sugar at Mass. They both leaned in and put their heads on my shoulders. I knelt down almost to get away from them. Everyone is so touchy these days. I begin my prayer and asked God, “Why do they have to be so needy today. I just feel like they are taking a piece of me. I don’t have enough to share and I feel tired and weak, why to they keep taking, can’t I just have my body left alone.”


God in his goodness didn’t bother to answer with a verbal response. I turned my head and looked above the altar. The irony of the situation hit me like a slap in the face. There He was on the cross giving every last drop of Himself up for me.

I became distracted during the Mass like any mom of nine does. I spend much of the Mass quieting down my row, instructing on the proper posture and separating fighting children. We have now knelt down and the Consecration has begun. I am especially aware of kiddos at this point, it is the high point of the Mass and they need to be settled and respectful. Then God allowed me to hear the words from the Priest with such clarity. . .

Take this, all of you, and eat it;
this is my body which will be given up for you.


OK, OK, I get it, I get it. Sorry! (Oh and Thanks)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.