Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nuns in the Neighborhood

Good news for all Catholics living in my area.
A Catholic high school is in the process of being built.  I don't know that it is a place that I would ever send my children but I do support it any way possible.  Anything that can help produce well formed solid educated Catholics is good for the community. 
 One of the really cool things about this new endeavor is that the sisters have been asked to run the school.  They showed up a few days back to start the many processes of opening a competitive high school.  They must create curriculum apply for approval and all kinds of fun things.  We were very happy to learn that the  sisters that are joining us are the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia from Nashville, Tenn. 
 The high school is a while off still.  It has been named and drawn but money is still being collected.

The sisters do not yet have an official convent in the area.  That all comes with the progress of the high school.  For now they are here and needed to rent a home that would work as their convent.  They found one in my neighborhood.  What does that mean?  Not much except that in the evenings we get to see these beautiful woman of God walking the neighborhood in their full habits. 

The part that I like the best is that they have created a small chapel in the home.  Our Lord is present physically just around the corner.  I love that!  We drive by their home several times a day, even though it isn't on the main drag.  We like to just say , "Hi!"  Welcome to neighborhood sisters.

3 comments:

  1. This was so cool but this morning J and I left to head out. We saw one of the sisters walking. It is so beautiful to see her walking in the neighborhood. I just hope she feels ok. She is walking in full habbit and it was 101 at that time at 11:00 .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is so incredible. What a blessing you are experiencing having these sisters living so close to you!!!

    I am jealous. ;)

    I was watching EWTN one Sunday, and watched a story about a Catholic homeschooling family in Canada...or Europe...I can't remember! :( Anyway, what I thought was so beautiful was that the husband built a Chapel on their farm property for the family to offer their morning and nightly prayers in. LOVED that!

    Hoping to do something similar if and when we ever move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to giggle. One of our Cuda friends just posted on Facebook that she and her friends just saw two nuns walking. They were in shock. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.