Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Way to Give Back

Two months ago I was so sick that I was more worried about my health than my babies.  I have always told my children that I would give my life for them.  Being so sick while pregnant was so hard and I was so relieved when they "took" the babies.  That was until I saw them, then I was filled with worry, dread and regret.  Could I have suffered a little longer, giving them more time inside?  In truth I doubt that I could have, I was very sick by the time they were born.   As I was healing my two precious babies were fighting hard to catch up and live like a full term baby.  I know we were very blessed in how little extra help they needed.  I prayed, and I prayed hard; what else could I do?
I was brought a breast pump about 20 hours after the twins were born.  I was told that they would need milk soon and asked if I needed help pumping.  I said I would pump, I always had good milk but if it was best for the twins I was OK with them getting formula.  That is when my education on the benefits of breast milk began.  Within the next four hours I met with the doctor, the nurse practitioner and the lactation consultant.  I was told that preemies need breast milk more than full term babies.

 I was asked if I would sign an order for milk bank breast milk.  I then affirmed everyone that if breast milk was really like medicine then I would be happy to pump.  I was never trying to avoid it, I just wanted to do what was best for my babies.  If it was really my breast milk then I was happy to provide.  I have always produced lots of milk and in the past I wondered about how I could share it.  I will not have extra this time because I will be feeding two babies but I wish I had known about the milk bank before.


As it turns out our hospital is a drop off point for milk.  I was so excited to learn about this service.  I have learned how good breast milk really can be, especially for small babies.  So many are born early and need that extra boast.  I only wish I could have given some in the past.  So now I want to share some information with my friends that have new babies.  If you can take the time to collect a little extra milk each day then consider giving to those who most need that milk.  I am not qualified to speak to this so I will link you to the bank.

Our Mission The Mothers' Milk Bank at Austin is a non-profit organization whose mission is to accept, pasteurize and dispense donor human milk by physician prescription, primarily to premature and ill infants.

Please click on their mission statement to visit their site.  It is a well done site with very good questions and answers in the FAQ sections.  If you life in the Houston area know that the Memorial Hermann hospital in the Woodlands is a drop off point for milk.  This is a great way to give back if you are blessed with a great milk supply.  I was so happy to be able to provide it for my twins and I they have done extremely well.  If something I produce free of charge could help another baby and another family with out too much trouble on my part, then it would be honor to give.  If you have recently had a baby please consider this as a way to safe a life.

Facebook Page is linked here!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea. I don't think they had that when I had my kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by.